17 January 2013

Trader Joe's Tempura Shrimp Review

I love tempura. I always have and growing up in a Japanese household, both my parents it for us at home.  I wouldn't say it was always but definitely enough that we got our tempura fix was satisfied.

There are so many different kinds of tempura. I would have to say my favorites are the sweet yam, green beans, mushroom and of course, shrimp. But now that I don't live with my parents, having tempura happens only when I go to a Japanese restaurant.  On rare occasions when we have dinner at my parents, they do decide to make it which is a treat.

But then recently, I found these frozen Tempura Shrimps from Trader Joe's.  It's so great because you bake them in the oven rather than frying thus making is a bit more healthy (their Mandarin Orange Chicken is the same way).  Also, someone who enjoys organizing things, I appreciated how each individual shrimp was organized and packaged!  There are 2 trays and 2 dipping sauces that come in one package.  Each tray holds 5 shrimp tempura's neatly places with dividers between each on the tray.  This is so that they don't get stuck to each other resulting in the batter to come off the shrimp.  Genius!

The sauce that is included in the package tastes more like a watery teriyaki sauce which seems odd to use for tempura.  Therefore, what I do is create my own tempura dipping sauce (see below for recipe) and save the teriyaki sauce for another meal.  You can use the sauce to make stir fry and even on top of chicken or fish.  The next time you crave tempura, try these!


Tempura Dipping Sauce Recipe
**Measurements will depend on quantity you are making.  See Menmi Sauce Bottle for guide)**

  • Menmi Sauce (can be purchased at a local grocery store in the Asian section or at an Asian grocery store.  Will be near the Shoyu (aka soy sauce)
  • Hot Water
  • Sugar to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment