13 July 2012

Get Shaved-Shaved Ice

Shaved Ice...it's so easy to make and really just water and flavored syrup but it's good!  I have grown up with eating shaved ice.  We even had a snow cone machine in our house.  My mom would freeze blocks of ice, we'd put it in our blue snow cone machine, crank the handle and flakes of lovely shaved ice would fall from the bottom of the machine into our bowl.  My mom would have like 4 different flavored syrups that we can choose from to put on our snow cone.  It was so good and so sweet.

In Hawaii, where snow cones are called shaved ice, shops have been around for a very long time but recently shaved ice shops have been opening quite a bit.  I guess in Hawaii, there are different shaved ice shops that sell different texture shaved ice.  Some shops have softer ice flakes where others have a more crunchier shaved ice flakes.  No matter what kind you enjoy, these things are great for a hot summer day.

I visited a shaved ice shop near my sister in law's house called Get Shaved and boy was it good.  People from Hawaii like their shaved ice soft.  This place was one that was recommended and I guess others recommended it as well because the line was out the door.  One things that makes it a good shaved ice place is that as one of the topping options, they have ice cream and red azuki beans that go on your shaved ice.  This is how it's done in Hawaii.  It's so good.  So basically you choose a base snow cone flavor like strawberry, get ice cream and red azuki beans to go along with it.  It may sound odd but it really goes well!

I would have to say this is my favorite of all time!  Even in Japan, this topping option is very popular.  If you ever go to Get Shaved in Orange Country, make sure you get the UFO size.  The size I got thinking it was the small was so HUGE!  I had to force myself to finish.  My eyes were definitely larger than my stomach and what a big mistake to think it's only ice and syrup.  It was so good though!


Strawberry syrup with azuki beans
Rainbow syrup with ice cream and azuki beans

When you go, make sure you know you might have to wait a bit for your snow cone.  There may be a line but it'll be worth the wait.  Also make sure you study the menu before going.  It could get Facebook and Twitter because they go mobile as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment