11 July 2012

Good For You & Delicious Too! Boba Drink from Surf City Squeeze

What's round, black and in your drink?  It's Boba or Bubble drinks.  If you have never had a Boba or Bubble drink, you're in for a surprise.  At first glance, it may not be too appealing having round, black balls of jelly at the bottom of your favorite slushy drink but once you try it, you'll wonder why it took you so long!  Boba drinks are one of a kind.  Some like it, some don't.  I personally love it!

Boba first originated in Taiwan in the 1980's.  Basically what is it is small, round chewy balls of tapioca.  This can be added to a milk tea blend, fruit slushy or a coffee blend.  Think Starbucks Frappucino with these little balls at the bottom.  The ball itself doesn't have much taste but drinking it along with your drink makes it fun and delicious!  Boba tea shops more available in the Orange Country area have become fancy be creating mini balls of tapioca, tubes of tapioca and even little squares of tapioca.  Some shops even have unique flavored tapioca bubbles!  My personal favorite is the Milk Tea Boba as well as Green Tea Boba.  I have no ventured out to the other flavored drinks or tapioca's but would like to one day.  I am a creature of habit where even if I got to a restaurant, I tend to order the same item time and time again.  Another awesome thing about this drink is the straw that comes with it.  It's a straw about double the size of a McDonald's straw in diameter.  That's so that you can slurp up the tapioca bubbles.  Some have said that the boba had chemicals in it that was not good for you and other's have raved that the collagen in the tapioca is good for your skin.  I'm not sure which is accurate but I do know that I love the stuff.

In my area, there are not a lot Boba shops.  I found about about 2 years ago that the Surf City Squeeze Smoothie store in the food court of my mall sells it!  I was so so happy and often get my drink there.  You can opt to get just the slushy Milk Tea or Green Tea but I always have them add the Boba to it.  It's like an extra 35 cents more.  There was a time that I had a craving for Boba, drove all the way to the mall to get a drink and the staff person told me they were out of Boba!  It was a sad day.



It's a perfect drink for the summer.  Not sure if every Surf City has this option but if you're in the mood to try something new, order a Boba drink!  My Surf City is owned and operated by a Korean couple so perhaps that's why they have it at their store?

No comments:

Post a Comment