26 June 2012

What's in a Name-Cake Cone vs. Sugar Cone

I love ice cream.  Probably not as much as my husband but on a hot summer night, it really hits the spot.  When I was small, I loved when my mom put ice cream in a cone that had random people's name on it.  Remember those?  I would dislike it when I got a "boy" name and when I got a "girls" name, I would pretend that her name was my name.  My new name only really lasted until I finished eating my ice cream cone.   When I get ice cream lately, I usually prefer getting it in a cup.  It's usually less messy and it's less expensive.   I think cones are a genius idea though.  No clean up necessary after enjoying some good ol' ice cream.  I can't help but cringe when I see little children eating or walking around with an ice cream cone.  It just seems like any minute now, the delicious flavored clump of ice will end up on the floor and then sooner or later, you will hear some crying after. 

Here is some history on the ice cream cone.  Though edible cones existed as early as 1825, the type of cones we're used eating ice cream with was first introduced to the world in the 20th century by a New Yorker named Italo Marchiony.  Because of patent problems and infringement, he lost lawsuits and lost his patent.  Then in 1904, during the St. Louis State Fair, a man named George Bang, owner of The Banner Creamery ran out of cups and used rolled up waffles to serve his ice cream.  But still no real patent was put in place.  Then in 1912, an inventor from Oregon named Frederick Bruckman officially patented a machine for rolling ice cream cones.  In 1928, he sold his company to Nabisco who remains to be the top seller in ice cream cones till this day.  Independent ice-cream companies such as such as Ben and Jerry's and Baskin-Robbins 31 Ice Creams make their own cones.

Recently, I went to Baskin-Robbins with my husband and saw this cone display.


I was shocked.  I had no idea that the wafer cones were called "cake cones!"  Did you?  I don't know if it was just because I never thought about it but I always thought there were 2 choices...regular cones or sugar cones.  I feel like I've been in the dark all these years!  But, hey, I guess it's better knowing now then later.  Thanks Baskin Robbins for the subtle lesson on ice cream cones!

No comments:

Post a Comment