18 August 2011

The Princess and the Pea

I work for a non-profit organization called ZOE International. The reason we exist can be described in 2 sentences. ONE-to spread the gospel to all the nations and TWO-to care for orphans and rescue children from human trafficking. For those who are not familiar with the terminology "human trafficking," it is the buying and selling of human beings. Sound like slavery, well, it's exactly that. It is commonly known as modern day slavery. ZOE focuses primarily on children who cannot fight for themselves. We rescue children who are at risk of being trafficked (often these are orphans) and those who have been trafficked. Click here for more on ZOE International.

Because of work, I often go to seminars and expos to either work our ZOE booth or to learn more about how we can combat human trafficking. Last Saturday, I went to a expo down in Chino Hills which was put on my International Justice Mission. There were powerful speakers who shared their testimony and other organizations who had a booths just like us. It was so inspiring! It's so uplifting to know there are others who are fighting for the same cause!

Anyway, one group called iSanctuary was there was selling jewelry made by victims who were rescued from being trafficked in India. After being rescued, the girls are educated and taught skills that will help them later in life. I couldn't resist so I bought a bracelet and a necklace. I'm getting to the point of this post and why it's on my food blog site. This necklace I purchased was called the Princess and the Pea. The above is a picture of it. I just thought this was the most adorable name! The word "princess" is so fitting for these girls who are now safe and cared for. The "pea" part, I'm guessing is because the green ball things on the necklace looks like peas! I absolutely love both items very much and makes me feel very happy everytime I wear it, knowing the the girls who made both items are now safe. If you're looking for jewelry that will be going to a good cause, check out iSanctuary!

No comments:

Post a Comment