22 June 2012

We Love Thai Food!

Growing up, the different foods I ate were American, Japanese, Mexican, Chinese and Italian.  My family never really ventured out in eating other ethnic foods besides the ones described above.  I don't know if we just didn't live around restaurants that specialized in those kinds of foods or if it was just because.  I probably had my first taste of Thai food about 3 years ago when I took my first mission trip to Thailand with a non profit organization that I now work for called ZOE.  As I've shared in previous posts, ZOE cares for orphans and rescues children from human trafficking.  Thai food uses lots of vegetables and rice as well as unique spices in their dishes.  One ingredient they use often are peanuts and coconut milk.  Though at first I was quite hesitant to venture out, slowly I was introduced to dishes like Pad Thai and the different curries that were available.  Because of my trip to Thailand, I am now a huge fan of Thai food.  I'm sure that the Thai food they have here in the States has been changed up a bit to satisfy the palates of us Westerners.  When I visit Thai restaurants owned by Thai people, they have traditional Thai food as well as some Chinese food like Orange Chicken or Beef Broccoli.  Now, I'm not that educated in Thai cuisine but I'm thinking in Thailand, Orange Chicken and Beef Broccoli may be called something different.  But, atleast there is something we can eat at a Thai restaurant without everything seeming so foreign.

My friend and I tried a local Thai restaurant called Thai Pepper in my valley for the first time.  It's a small, cozy place that seats about 50.  Right as you walk in, there was a tribute area for the King of Thailand.  He is a well loved and respected King.

We decided to order the Pad Thai (can't go wrong with that) and some Green Curry and a Chicken Cashew dish.  I have never had Green Curry but wow, it was very good.  It was a bit spicy but perfect if you like hot dishes.  The Pad Thai and the Chicken Cashew was very good too!  Though we had to pay for the rice, it is a must, especially in any Asian dish.



The next time you are deciding where to go for dinner, try something different.  Maybe a restaurant out of your comfort zone.  It may turn out to be something you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i love thai food i have read your blog that very nice.thai restaurant

    ReplyDelete